Old 05-22-2011, 02:43 AM
kwendt

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Honchey
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Honchey
Hi Nancy, there's been conversation about "blackside" machines and I'm wondering about the "Singer 15" I picked up. You commented about it regarding the Potted vs bolted motors. Are there partial blackside machines? My 15 has the black tensioner ,stitch regulator and the handwheel is all black. the face plate and bobbin cover are chrome.. I think. Would this be considered a blackside? Anne
No, the true blackside machines had all black throat plates, face plates, feet, etc. They were made during the war so the machines would not gleam, is what I was told. I think all blacksides are 99's, at least the ones I have seen are all 99's.
Nancy
Actually they offered Blackside for all of their models and were made up into the early 50's. I have seen a 15, 99, 128 (the most common one seen) and a Featherweight. But your almost right about the reason for the finish Nancy, it was because Nickle was in high demand by the government so they offered the Blackside models to help with the war effort. But you could still get nickle plated machines during the era. Billy
Hi, My 15 was made in 1950 and it also has a black threadcutter. I was just very curious. Anne
Anne I think most of the thread cutters were blackside finish but I may be wrong. There is a member here that has a 15 that is a Blackside. Billy
Hi, I'm the lady with the blackside 15-91. The normal chrome parts of a 15 are all blackside on this machine (face plate, back cover plate, throat, nobbies, feet, etc.) Apparently, not so many of the 15s were outfitted this way, compared to say... the 127s.

Seems like everyone is correct. lol. A true (?) blackside machine had all the chrome pieces in the black finish just like Nancy/Billy said. But then it also seems as if Singer had a storehouse of blackside parts and attachments that continued to be put on machines after the war, even when the machines had other chrome parts. Attachments were made out of partial chrome/blackside bits, and blackside attachments can be seen with non-blackside machines.

A good example is the adjustable binder. Ever notice how you can find that old singer part in all chrome, all blackside, or 1/2 and 1/2 where part of the attachment is chrome and another section of it is blackside??? I have all three in my 'attachment collection' as it were. Singer also, I believe, when they got back to making sewing machines after the war effort, did a lot of refurbishing of machines. Could be that blackside bits, parts, attachments were put on the earlier models during their factory 'refurbishment'. But that is just my conjecture, I do not know for sure. Singer factory history is pretty interesting. I would love to have one of the very few Singer guns.... but that is a WHOLE 'nother thread!