Old 05-22-2011, 05:49 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by miriam
BoJangles wrote: "I just picked up a Kenmore 3/4 size machine Model 158.10400 for $5 from a swap meet. It is in great shape -- looks exactly like this machine on e-bay without all the gunk in the bobbin area! Has attachments, case and all, but this machine does not take cams? So what does the 158.1503 you are looking at look like?"

Those little 3/4 size are NICE. My sister has one - uses it in an RV - they do a couple basic stitches & pretty simple to work. Some where I thought I saw they were made by Jaguar. I've used hers it's pretty gutsy for it's size. It does have two belts. One on the side and one underneath. They are small but heavy.
Miriam, is your sister's machine the little 158.104? I took the machine to Girls' Night Out last night to clean and use the machine. It will sew, it was pretty clean, but I can't get the needle out of the right hand position. I found a manual on-line last night that mentions nothing about being able to change the needle position so I think the needle is stuck in the right zig of the zig zag. The machine will stitch a straight stitch with the needle on the right side, but it won't do a zig zag. Nothing appears broken, the machine looks really good, but I know that needle should move over to the middle. There is a single hole needle plate with the machine and a straight stitch foot -- neither can be used now - needle would hit. I have the zig zag foot and zig zag plate on now. I also can't get the clutch to disengage to wind a bobbin. I wound the bobbin with the needle going ninety miles an hour, but I can't turn the wheel to disengage the needle so the bobbin winder can wind. In the manual I printed out, some of the 158's had the push in wheel to disengage the needle, some had the wheel that turns! Mine does not push in, should turn, but does neither? Any suggestions? I am not familiar with the Kenmore machines!

Nancy