View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 07:31 AM
ThayerRags

Hi Poly,

We’re using size 80/12 needles in it already, but I’m not exactly sure who made them or which point they have on them. I don’t have the outside packaging where the mfg and point type was listed. I’m pretty sure that they’re not Sharps (R), since they came from a lingerie factory that closed here in town. They’re either a Thin Ball (FFG/SES) or a Medium Ball (FG/SUK). I have a bunch of Schmetz needles, but they’re all Medium Ball (SUK) that are designed for sewing elastic. I think they would be the least likely to perform well in a cotton/cotton-batting/cotton sandwich, but I haven’t ever tried one. I’d say that the needle that we’re using may be at least part of the problem.

The Singer 96-40 has a single screw to attach the spool pin onto the top of the machine. I came up with a motor that already had a bracket on it that would attach with the spool pin screw. It started out as just a temporary setup, and I haven’t gotten back to working on a permanent mounting system yet. I’m still working out the foot and needle problems.

CD in Oklahoma