View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 08:03 AM
Cre8tvlwyr

Originally Posted by d.rickman
Everyone is sleeping, so taking this minute to let you know how I made my life simplier with freezer paper, after the first 15 blocks, which I traced...finally figured out that I could.....Copy each page using my scanner, saved it to my computer - then printed that page onto the dull side of freezer paper, and pressed the batik onto the shiny side - that way I didn't have to trace. The pieces were perfect - more than I can say about my appliqueing...LOL
I keep going back and forth between methods - but for the past few months I have settled on this - I found that if I trace pattern both on the background and on my applique pieces with a clover disappearing ink pen [the one you wash away] and then work closely with my straw needle turning under with right hand and pinching with left thumb it works quite well. If you use the starch method - you need the freezer paper. I've found that if I trace on the paper or work with that paper edge - the applique piece becomes just a little larger. This isnt a problem with few pieces that are large anyway, but when dealing with tiny pieces it doesnt work for me.

I think it's been Lesley who continues to stress how important that left thumb is [for rightys]
Monica

I need an avatar... :(