Old 05-22-2011, 09:34 AM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Here is my latest quilt, Eagle Scout quilt, that I pieced with my Eldredge Two Spools, quilted with Singer 201K, attached binding with Davis NVF, and finished off with decorative stitch from Singer 238K- all in treadles. I love my vintage machines and treadling them!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-124834-1.htm
Monica ~ Love your quilt! And would you mind sharing how you sew your binding on? My mother makes round pot holders but she does not like putting the binding on so she deligates that task to me. Your decorative stitches would look great and might save me some time :)

Judy
I machine sew all my bindings on since I dislike hand sewing. Funny thing is that I baste all my quilts using the Sharon Schamber method; don't mind that type of hand sewing since it is quick and gets removed.

Well, I now have the Davis NVF machine (walking foot machine) for attaching bindings and the machine is awesome for this. But before I acquired the Davis, I would just attach the bindings on with my Singer 201 or 15-90. I would use my walking foot and I did have some difficulty keeping things even, but then I discovered Sharon Schamber's glue method of attaching the binding down. That worked even better, but the best method for attaching that I have found is my Davis NVF.

Since I don't like the look of the straight-stitch line on the finished binding, I decided to use the decorative stitches to finish off and soften the look. At first I was using just one decorative stitch from my daughters Janome TB30 as a signature stitch, but I got bored with just the one stitch. I started using the other decorative stitches.

Then I saw that zig-zag machines can be treadled and my hunt was one for a machine with decorative stitching capability to use in treadle. So, I now use my Singer 328K for the decorative stitches. I do some test runs on small mock-ups to see how the stitch looks, but once that is done all goes quickly.

I think the decorative stitches would look so cute on the potholders. You gave me an idea for presents this Christmas, quilted potholders made from the fabric scraps. Thanks!