View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 06:28 PM
cathyvv

Originally Posted by cathyvv
Purchased some books and magazines at a garage sale this weekend. Great books and I really want to use them, but there is one major problem.

The previous owner apparently used cologne liberally and the scent has impregnated the books. I am VERY sensitive to colognes - reading the books makes my sinuses swell, gives me a headache and I get a funny taste in my mouth.

If the books had been displayed for sale in a closed space rather than an open garage, I would have noticed the scent and not bought them.

Right now I have the books in a plastic bag with baking soda to try to remove the smell. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Update: Left the books in a sealed cardboard box with kitty litter (old kind - don't ask me, my husband picked it up!) and charcoal. Scent is significantly reduced. Sinuses take longer to react, though not much longer.

Have put the books in a cabinet with a charcoal deoderizer for now. Will try the sunshine cure next. Next step after that is to scan the patterns I want to keep into the computer just in case, someday, I actually make them!

Thanks for all the tips.