Old 05-23-2011, 05:29 AM
writerwomen

Perhaps the question is not what I made but what I turned down.
Some years ago while working as a dental assistant in Milwaukee WI I walked in the op and heard the Doctor tell the patient I had a sewing business so to ask if I'd do the work she was looking for. He had no idea what she was looking for just needed a seamstress.
As the dctor was out of the room she explained she needed an alteration o a swim suit. (she was a big gal) I kept trying to figure out what she meant by it being too big and why not just buy a new one. Finally I understood. It was the begining of that aweful craze for thong swim suits and she was wanting me to turn her swim suit into one. I pulled out a length of dental floss and gave it to her and told her that was as far as I was willing to go. The doctor about dropped his teeth when he realized what she was wanting. I had several calls of desperate Mom's late Thursday wanting a custome wedding gown for Saturday. They'd flip out sure it was very unprofessional and how could I call my sell one if I couldn't make a gown in a day.
Those types of things are when I realized I really didn't want to sew on demand like that.