Old 05-23-2011, 06:16 AM
Lostn51
Banned

Originally Posted by Deara
When we acquired the 301, it was missing a few parts. (The bobbin case base, gib & gib screw, the bobbin case, needle plate and the bottom tray cover)

We bought a whole hook assembly, bobbin case, needle plate and the bottom tray.

Just from reading this thread and all the FW questions & answered posted, I learned that the hook assembly and the bobbin case needed to be inserted a certain way for proper operation.

The 301 and the FW have interchangeable hook assemblies and bobbin cases and the needle plates as well are the same.

I did make one phone call to learn the placement of the hook assembly on the shaft.
It has to be exact or the needle hits.
First try and it hit.
The second attempt (with a prayer first), the hook assembly sat on the shaft exactly where it was suppose to.
The bobbin case was next, and the needle plate was placed over the bobbin case with the arm at the 12 o'clock position.
That is the part I learned here on the board, that the bobbin case needs to be set in a certain way for it to work.

I have gained confidence after working on the 301, I feel like I can attempt anything with our vintage machines.

I so love all the info and pictures and the family news shared here.

We are a family and I am most blessed to be a part of this great family with all the knowledge, wisdom and advice that is shared so freely.

I want to thank Billy again for starting this thread and for all those who contribute with their hands on knowledge, and also the ones who post the questions so we will continue to learn.

Sorry this is so long.
I know there are others out there just itching to jump into their machines and make them work or work better.
You can do it.
If I could, you can.

Blessings,
Sandi
See how much fun it is fixing your own machine? I am so glad you were able to fix it and you have the confidence to tear into the next project! And if it were not for everyone here this shop would be an old dusty store and not the hopping place that it is today!!

Billy