View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 06:45 AM
Deb53

Thanks for all your responses. It has made me pause and think it through. I do not plan on going into surgery just yet. The neurosurgeon had me scheduled for 2 injections in my back (L5 area) and I've had P/T for while a few weeks - he extended the P/T twice. I'm a bit perturbed the P/T exercises were to stretch the periformus and hamstring plus strengthening the core. The pool (warm water) was great to work in but I don't know if it helped. The neurosurgeon said it was OK to go to a chiropractor too. I did go get slight adjustments (no big manipulations) and in a decompression table. I stopped going to him because I felt worse afterward. Don't know exactly which of these helped but my initial intense pain was relieved and replaced with leg tingles and numb back of thigh and foot. Now the thigh has minimum numbness but the poor foot gets the brunt of numb and pain. I'd guess that's progress. But I'm trying to manage these effects with how I sit and stand. When I do the pelvic tilt (tuck my tailbone under) it stops the leg tingles 50% of the time. I'm trying to put my foot up on a stool in the kitchen when I'm doing dishes and cooking. Have to figure out how to grocery shop and keep the symptoms away.
ANY ONE HAVE IDEAS other than those??
I'm thinking of getting a second opinion and maybe they'd have more exercise ideas. I'm gaining weight with such physical limitations. When I had my feet operated on years ago a few times that stopped my activities too. I hate to keep putting my family through this too. I have very young grandchildren.
Well I thought you'd understand also. I want to help the kids but can't very much. But I sew and they are always asking me to do something for them - which I can! !