View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 10:08 AM
MadQuilter
Power Poster

Pointers on points, eh? lol Points not matching can be a sign of inconsistency in squareness, size, and most often seam allowance. (Had some problems in the beginning, but not any more.)

I often construct half-square triangles and found out that there are many methods available. Recently, I bought a a Quilt-in-a-Day ruler specifically to cut down half-square triangles, when the pieces I am working with ae wonky to start. With this ruler, you lay the cross line on the sewn line and cut away the rest to the point. Some may say to sew them oversize and cut down is a waste of fabric, but for me, it is a better result and a great stash buster.

There is also the rolls of paper that allow sewing half-square triangles accurately on the paper template and then cutting out the individual units.

There is a grid method to sew/cut many at once, or one can cut the individual triangles and sew them together which requires handling fabric on the bias.

One important key is to NOT stretch the unit when pressing it open. One gal I know checks her units for squareness after she presses them. It adds time, but may be what some have to do. It is also important to press to the same (darker) side on all the units in order for the pieces to nest when two are sewn together.

When I sew the pieces together, I pin first and make sure to use a consistent seam allowance. Then I sew them all, one after the other.

Again, I press so the pieces will nest, and again, I pin. One little trick is to start sewing one or two stitches from the inside the seam (not all the way from the starting seam). This allows the final pressing to open up the center where all 4 seams meet. Pressing this way makes the seams go in a pinwheel direction instead of a big bumpy lump. (Gosh I hope that makes sense

When I sew the finished blocks together, I always check to make sure that the points will meet. If not, I adjust (placement or seam allowance and fudge a little.)

One of the quilts I have done uses a floating pinwheel. I really liked that because the points did not need to match. :D