View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 02:35 PM
zyxquilts

Those are great quilts Moreland! :thumbup: Thanks for sharing them with us all. :mrgreen:

As you can see from my picture to the left, I have two adorable kittens: Abbie (about 13 months old), and Buddy (about 8 months old). Buddy eats everything from the food I give him, Abbie's food, fabric, lint--just about anything he can get into his mouth. We live in a 2 bedroom condo, and my husband has requested that I do not do anysewing until we can move to a larger home where I can have a sewing room. His fear? Either of them, but especially Buddy eating strings that could be fatal, chewing on fabric pieces that could be fatal, but [/url]especially sewing pins, that would definitely be FATAL.

I purchased a magnetic pin dish/holder to use instead of the beautiful wood pin dish my grandfather made for me on his lathe 100 years ago (well, maybe not quite that long).

But does anyone have any suggestions for keeping strings, fabric pieces, and straight pins off the floor? Also does anyone have any other suggestions for sewing around pets and crawling children?[

I recently learned this one: take a piece of that blue painter's tape, maybe 5" long, fold it sticky side out & put it on the side of your sewing machine. Then you can just stick the strings right to it, until it's full! Painter's tape is low tack, so it won't leave any residue on the machine.
You could keep a spray bottle of water handy too, & squirt 'em if they get near the pins!
I know all cats aren't the same, but I know of at least 8 cats that belong to quilters, and they are all still hale & hearty! My cat is at home alone all day while I'm at work, my sewing room is pretty much the whole house, and she's 16-1/2 years old now. Nothing is closed up, I use regular pin cushions & there are as many threads as cat hair around the house! LOL In fact, you can see a pic of the mess here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/15/1371.page
Actually, one of her favorite spots is the chair at my sewing machine....