Old 05-23-2011, 11:54 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by jtapp9
A piece of advice please?

In the 500A that I just got recently, If it is not threaded it will sit and "sew" like mad. No catching or glitches or anything. As soon as I put thread in it and attempt to sew then I can feel it tightening up, like its catching, and the thread will break after maybe 4 stitches. Lots of birds nest underneath. Sometimes it wont even start to sew on its own and the two handwheels will part and the inner one (larger) will spin but not the outer (smaller) one. As soon as I pull the thread out it will "sew" again.

I have changed the needle. I have taken the tension unit off and loosened it. I have tried several different kinds of thread. I've checked the bobbin area for crud.

Any other things I can try tonight?

I've had to put them away a bit because I kept tinkering with machines and NOT getting any sewing done. I've about come to the conclusion that I should just pay the money for ones that have already been serviced. My patience really does wear thin pretty quickly when it comes to tinkering with minor problems with seemingly no fixes...lol. I had decided to take them to the local SMS for a servicing but seems their number is no longer in service :(....sucks for me.
Go look for another machine, 301, 201, FW, 15s. They work, and easy to repair. I forgot what machines you already have, but don't waste your time on that one.
They really are a great machine - it might take some work but it is well worth it once you do - the more you do yourself the more you will learn - in time you won't be so frustrated. When you get frustrated take a step away for a bit then go back. I think you will do ok fixing it yourself. Take your time. You might try a different pack of needles. Some machines are picky about thread - try that stuff that begins with G... I can't remember how it is spelled. I had one that was picky about needles and thread. I sold it... I have a 403 that doesn't like the spools of thread - they wrap around and do all that breaking. You might check to see if the thread is moving off the spool right. I put mine on the bobbin winder spindle and loop the thread around the spindle and across. You might have to see where else you can stick a spool. It sounds like someone didn't have it in running order when you bought it. I've had several through here, they are a fine machine.