Old 05-23-2011, 01:06 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jtapp9
Irishrose, as much as it pains me I will get some Singer needles ;)

Miriam, Gutermann thread perhaps? I have tried it, Coats N Clark, Connecting Threads, Aurifil and some cheap a$$ 2/$1 thread from Walmart that I'm trying to use up...lol. I knew the machine wasn't quite right when I bought it. I'm sure its probably something simple but those are the ones that drive a person the craziest..hahaha. I"m going to try moving the thread because it does jerk a lot. I've tried threadign it differently, don't remember where I read another way to do it, but I've tried that way. I really believe it is either in the tensioner or something in the bobbin case...just got to figure it out.

I play with them for a little bit then I have to put them away. For one thing, I never get any sewing done if I PLAY with the machines for very long :).

The 503A would probably right now run better, but its missing some parts and I'd rather get the "whole" 500A up and running and then think about what I want to do with the 503A.

I don't plan on giving up on the 500 even if I have to pay to ship it to someone to work on for me! :)
The 503 is a better machine in my opinion... - all you have to do is come up with all 22 top hats and it will do the same as the 500... Use the parts off the 500 if you have to. Try the Gutermann thread. Check to make sure the thread is going off the spool and not winding back around the spool or around the spindle or on the little slit in the end of the spool or kinking up

http://www.tandtrepair.com/SlantOMatics.html
check there for threading info - great site - good info