Old 05-23-2011, 10:03 PM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by Honchey
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I feel very sorry for those that learned to sew on a Singer 758 Touch and Sew. These machines are a piece of crap, at least the free one that my neighbor gave me the other day is. I got it to sew after a long time of playing with it, then I tested to see if the bobbin worked and after that I can't for the life of me get the tension correct now. I took it apart, cleaned it, looked for any stray thread that had gotten under the bobbin area, oiled it, and even took the top plate off and checked the upper tension mechanism. I feel so sorry for my neighbor since she doesn't sew, and she was using this dang piece of s.... to teach her daughter how to sew. And this was a machine that she picked up for free from a friend's mom that had been a seamstress. Makes me wonder if the seamstress ever used this machine. I wouldn't, but then I learned to sew on a Necchi Supernova. Eeks, I want to Touch and Throw this machine; not sew with it. Sorry for the rant.

So, for all of those that learned to sew on one of these s..... pieces of machinery, please treat yourself to a Featherweight or 201- those are excellent machines. Ok, I'm done for the night.
The bobbin itself could be the problem. I hate those Torch & Throw machines too. But the bobbins get nicked up or warped or what ever - try a brand new bobbin in there and see if it works. The 600's weren't too bad if you can get the bobbin to work. After that they used plastic. Best to stick with 500s or older - they were all metal and they work just fine. Before you throw out the Torch and Throw, save the parts... LOL They work on the 4 & 500 series - well, some do...
Hi Everyone, My DH brought in this machine in today..one of his golfing buddies gave it to me. It came with the accessories/manual and 16 cams :-D :-D After reading the problems with the Touch and Sew 758.. I'm wondering if I'm going to have a problem with the bobbin winder. The button that has to move to the left to engage the winder doesn't move to the left. All it does is just wiggle and I'm afraid to push too hard..I don't want to break it. Is there anyone here that is knows more about this bobbin winder? I haven't checked it out yet or tried to wind a bobbin...maybe I should first. I will do that now. Anne
Anne, My machine worked beautifully before I used the bobbin winder. I had very nice straight stitches, zig-zag, and made a nice buttonhole. And then I tested the bobbin winder. I had no problem getting the bobbin winder to work, but afterwards the tension was messed up. I took all parts out, cleaned (found a tip of a needle and small bits of the black rubber from the feed dogs), and then oiled the machine.

I do hope your machine works well for you! And you will be able to enjoy sewing with it for a very long time.