Old 05-24-2011, 05:50 AM
HanNatNana

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Bronwyn that fateful day that you 'had' to fly must have been terrible. I am always saddened to hear these stories. You two must of been pretty young. I am sorry for what you have gone through, but it sounds like you persevered because look at you now. If you know no one who sews, how did you get started? Is there a quilt store near you? I have made lots of sewing friends by taking classes at our local quilt stores -- tons of fun!

Nancy
It was a terrible day in more ways than one, DH had just turned 44 and I was 42....the saying 'only the good die young' is soooo true!!

When I was a young child, I used to design my own clothes and my DGM used to do the sewing...which often caused a lot of problems because she didn't use a purchased pattern. I had to stand very straight while she held a sheet of newspaper against me while cutting the 'pattern' with the scissors in the other hand, a few times my clothes (and skin) got nicked!! LOL A left hander using right handed scissors is not a good combination!! LOL

From around 6-7 yrs old I used to do hand embroidery even though my parents tried for many, many years to convince me that sewing (of any kind) was a complete waste of time...but I persisted through all those fights and arguments and later took myself to night dressmaking classes for a year before I was married. Then a few years later when DS was a baby, I returned to classes and continued for another 10 yrs through the whole range of dressmaking and home dec classes because it was something I really enjoyed.

Sewing is a huge part of my life as I make all my own clothes, including bras, underwear and swimsuits, home dec items (including quilts) and some clothes for 2 x DGD's along with dolls clothes etc. If something can be made on a sewing machine I'll try it...and before next summer I plan to make a shade-sail to cover the fishpond during the summer months. I made one for my last house and it worked brilliantly.

Unfortunately there are no quilt stores closeby, in fact there's not much in this small town where I moved recently. Sometime I'll check if there are any sewing groups but at the moment there are not enough hours in the day because I've just had a new house built with a large sewing room and still have to do all the landscaping etc so I've got more than enough to keep me busy....then I suddenly get addicted to vintage sewing machines!!! LOL

Bronwyn ;-)