Old 05-24-2011, 06:52 AM
MarieM

Originally Posted by incoming2me
Originally Posted by MarieM
Ok, so here is a photo of my first HC. I know that most of you have a much nicer and stronger maching but a girls got to start some where.
I've never seen one of these up close and personal.
All of the pictures I've seen they are either black or what I thought was a tan color.. yours is pink?
Too cute!!!

After buying DD4 a POS Singer plastic chainstitch machine for her b'day last week, I've decided that it's going back to the store.

Have you sewn on this one? I was thinking about finding one of these for her. (If they are indeed a viable option!)
The other option I was thinking was a handcrank. (...by converting my Great Grandmother's model 15 treadle head)
Actually I did sew a little on it and it really did a fine job. I purchased it at an auction and it was made in the 1950's. Since it had the original box, clamp, needles and instruction book I couldn't resist. I thought it would be really cute to set out on a shelf...now I just have clear a spot off on a shelf. It is actually tan, not pink. Depending on how old your DD is you may want to consider a vintage machine. I don't have children but when people ask me what I recommend for a machine I recommend the vintage ones. Our local consignment shop had a nice 301 in a cabinet and a mom bought it for her daughter to learn to sew. If you learn on a good machine I think you'll love the hobby.