View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 07:51 AM
grammatjr

Oh, one thing I forgot in my tute:

When I did Ethan's Diploma last year, I was really worried about all the tiny pieces falling off (hadn't yet got smart about keeping them all together). So, I had heard you can use organza or tulle over art quilts, so I gave that a try.

I applied the tulle by sewing along the cut out black lines. It was really a pain - it kept shifting. Then, I was trying to finish it up the night before the UNL Employee Quilt Show (http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-54112-1.htm) and I wanted it looking all smooth and pretty, so I decided to press it (I know - it was late, I was tired and stupid). Surprise - the tulle melted! Duh!

As I saw his tshirt just melt away, I realized that I could just cut away the bad part, and sew in a new section of tulle.

But, it turned into a great thing, becuase as I cut away the melted tulle, I saw there were now 2 shades of the top, and it looked really cool. Check out the above link to see Ethan's Diploma hanging in the International Quilt Study Center and Museum, and see how the light shining through it really shows off the 2 tones.