View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 09:43 AM
Magdalena

Originally Posted by stpatmom
Last week, a little girl was diagnosed with leukemia. I want to do something to help the family out as the mom was a teacher's aide at our school and won't be able to work and care for her daughter for the next year, not to mention that as a small catholic school, we really don't pay very well. Anyways, I was thinking of starting a gift card drive, grocery cards, gas cards and fast food places to help out between chemo trips. How would I begin to organize this? I was thinking of contacting our church, maybe their community, and the school. Should I collect them, or have them sent directly to the family? Would this be something you would consider donating to if you knew the family? or do you know of someone doing this before? I just feel as though I'm being called to help.
I think it is wonderful what you are trying to do. I don't have the best advice, but I am sure someone else will chime in. Some states require a permit to do fundraisers, so people have gone to the church or your local Lions Club, Legions of Hall, and etc., to help - they have the credentials to do this. I will keep this in my prayers.