Old 05-24-2011, 01:07 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by jtapp9
Irishrose, as much as it pains me I will get some Singer needles ;)

Miriam, Gutermann thread perhaps? I have tried it, Coats N Clark, Connecting Threads, Aurifil and some cheap a$$ 2/$1 thread from Walmart that I'm trying to use up...lol. I knew the machine wasn't quite right when I bought it. I'm sure its probably something simple but those are the ones that drive a person the craziest..hahaha. I"m going to try moving the thread because it does jerk a lot. I've tried threadign it differently, don't remember where I read another way to do it, but I've tried that way. I really believe it is either in the tensioner or something in the bobbin case...just got to figure it out.

I play with them for a little bit then I have to put them away. For one thing, I never get any sewing done if I PLAY with the machines for very long :).

The 503A would probably right now run better, but its missing some parts and I'd rather get the "whole" 500A up and running and then think about what I want to do with the 503A.

I don't plan on giving up on the 500 even if I have to pay to ship it to someone to work on for me! :)
Have you oiled the hook assembly really well? When I got my 301 it was dragging and breaking threads. I kept thinking it was the tensioner, even after I bought and installed a new unit. I ended up taking the bobbin carrier out and soaking and cleaning it, and then oiled the whole hook till the oil was running out of it. One day later put it all back together and it really made a big difference!!
Good idea - You can pop out the part that holds the bobbin and clean it up pretty good - look in your manual - then oil it - getting it back in is trial and error the first time - look for burrs on the hook - run your finger over it or use a thread