View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 04:57 PM
butterflywing

while a quilt was still on my frame, i wet it down to get all the chalk marks out. what i do is wipe it off with a pure white towel and the chalk just cleans off easily. anyway, i was wetting the edges and i discovered that when it dried, the edges has shrunk just enough to "block" out any wonkies and leave me a nice straight edge.

well, you know the rest i'm sure. i roll each section out and wet it enough to wet, not soak, the top. i find that that's where the wonkies live. the backing is very tight on the frame. the water is not enough to go through to the batting, so that stays dry, as does the backing. but the top gets very straight. when that section dries, i move on to the next section. it's a few extra days on the frame, but so much easier on my back. the take-up roller really does the job for me.

this shrinking process also shrinks down any squoogies (those oversized pointy little hills of fabric that appear between two quilted areas) and other bulging problems.

once the top has been straightened and roughly trimmed, i can go right to binding, which i do from the front then trim to finished size, and hand stitch to the back. does anyone understand that garble at all?