View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 11:42 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BlueChicken
It's definitely the process for me too.

Seeing it all come together how it's supposed to.... or not! LOL

I've also made a memorial type wall hanging when a friend lost her little girl to cancer. While I was making it I realised I had no idea what I was going to do with the end product, it was purely the making of it that was therapeutic for me. The process was part of the healing. I did end up giving it to my friend, and she loved it.
I saw an article recently in my French 'Quiltmania' magazine about memorial quilts. The lady featured made them out of fabric from the loved ones clothes, scarves, ties or whatever. She described exactly the emotion you refer to, Blue, that the process of making it was part of the healing. It's a wonderful application of our hobby and makes me wish I'd thought of it a few years ago when my beloved Grandma died - I'd have kept some of her clothes and made one. Unfortunately, my aunt packed everything off to a charity shop, I only managed to salvage her paisley scarf which she wore round her shoulders or over her head, depending on the weather.

Sorry, back to the thread...!

I think I'm a 'project person' but trying to make myself more process - I have to remind myself that this is a HOBBY and is supposed to be fun! I'm getting better at not beating myself up if I don't finish something for ages, or if I get bored with something and put it away for a while. DH doesn't really get it either - he said to me this morning ' what happened to that crazy quilt you were making?' I've done two blocks, (by hand and hand embroidered - took ages!). I will make more now and then, WHEN I FEEL LIKE IT!!! But there's no point in MAKING yourself do something just because you feel it MUST be finished, right? How am I doing at becoming a 'process person'? :D

K x