Old 05-25-2011, 04:55 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by HanNatNana
It was a terrible day in more ways than one, DH had just turned 44 and I was 42....the saying 'only the good die young' is soooo true!!

When I was a young child, I used to design my own clothes and my DGM used to do the sewing...which often caused a lot of problems because she didn't use a purchased pattern. I had to stand very straight while she held a sheet of newspaper against me while cutting the 'pattern' with the scissors in the other hand, a few times my clothes (and skin) got nicked!! LOL A left hander using right handed scissors is not a good combination!! LOL

From around 6-7 yrs old I used to do hand embroidery even though my parents tried for many, many years to convince me that sewing (of any kind) was a complete waste of time...but I persisted through all those fights and arguments and later took myself to night dressmaking classes for a year before I was married. Then a few years later when DS was a baby, I returned to classes and continued for another 10 yrs through the whole range of dressmaking and home dec classes because it was something I really enjoyed.

Sewing is a huge part of my life as I make all my own clothes, including bras, underwear and swimsuits, home dec items (including quilts) and some clothes for 2 x DGD's along with dolls clothes etc. If something can be made on a sewing machine I'll try it...and before next summer I plan to make a shade-sail to cover the fishpond during the summer months. I made one for my last house and it worked brilliantly.

Unfortunately there are no quilt stores closeby, in fact there's not much in this small town where I moved recently. Sometime I'll check if there are any sewing groups but at the moment there are not enough hours in the day because I've just had a new house built with a large sewing room and still have to do all the landscaping etc so I've got more than enough to keep me busy....then I suddenly get addicted to vintage sewing machines!!! LOL

Bronwyn ;-)
Wow, that is really young to loose your husband. Now a days most kids aren't even getting married till they are mid 30's! What a rough way to start your grown up life - I didn't feel grown up until I turned 40 even though I had been married since I was 17!

You are quite amazing. I have never tried to make 'all' my own clothes - I have done most at one time or another - but not bras and swim suits! I am always in awe over people like you as my Mother was like that. She'd make anything that could be made! She was much more talented than I am! I have done 3 complete weddings, but that was following patterns!

Nancy