Thread: Why do people
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 06:08 AM
Hen3rietta

I agree it is inconsiderate to wait three months and then say I want it next week or to not reply at all, but they are qualitatively different responses. In the first case, I would simply tall the person I no longer have the time to accommodate your request, particularly in the time frame given. But in the second case, how many of us phone for 'estimates' for something, or just to see what the price is when we are comparison shopping? The person I talking to at the moment may in fact be the one I buy from or contract with, but I don't feel compelled to phone back everyone I got a price or estimate from to tell them that I've chosen someone else. Providing estimates or prices is part of doing business if you are selling an item or a service. I know in the case of the board here, the relationship seems a b it more personal, but essentially it is still a potential buyer asking for an estimate. I sell in a different medium and because I need to put in a considerable amount of time producing a design and price, I typically require a "design fee" that is deducted from the final price if the buyer agrees to purchase, otherwise it partially compensates me for the time and effort required to produce a price.