Thread: Lemon Curd
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Feathers

I went to a friends home last week for tea and scones and she served this Lemon Curd that is so outragous that I went to town, bought a huge bag of Lemons and I'm canning lemon curd this morning.

This is a quintessentially British teatime favorite. It is a sweet yet tart, velvety spread that is heavenly on scones, muffins and tea breads. it also makes an excellent filling for layer cakes or baked tartlet shells. Lemon curd keeps up to 2 months in the refrigerator so can be made well ahead of time.

LEMON CURD:

2 C. fresh lemon Juice - 8 to 12 lemons ** put lemons in microwave for
about 1 minute and you'll get more juice from each lemon
1/2 C. finely shredded/grated lemon zest
2 1/2 C. Granulated Suguar
12 (Yes, a DOZEN) TBLS. Butter
6 Eggs

Wash lemons and using a shredder or tiny grater, shred the peel into a tupperware bowl with lid then stick the tines of a fork in the lemon ONCE and put the lemons in the microwave to heat up slightly. Cut the lemons in half and squeeze the juice into a strainer suspended over a bowl. The strainer will catch the seeds before they fall into the juice. Squeeze all the lemons then measure the juice. I doubled the recipe and it turned out wonderful!

In a medium saucepan, combine the lemon juice, lemon zest and sugar. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the butter and stir until it has melted. Remove the mixture from the heat and cool to room temperature.

Beat the eggs into the ROOM TEMPERATURE lemon-sugar mixture until well blended and place over low heat. Bring to just below the simmering point and cook stirring constantly for 7 to 10 minutes, or until the mixture thickens and coats the spoon.

Wash 2 pint or 4 half pint jars; keep hot until needed. Prepare lids as manufacturer directs. Ladle hot curt into jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe jar rim with clean dry cloth or paper towel. Attach lid and ring. Repeat with remaining jars.

Process in a boiling-water bath for 10 minutes. Let jars set for 24 hours.

Makes 4 Cups.