View Single Post
Old 10-20-2007, 07:05 AM
lin

I started much like you cathe. I didn't know one fabric would be better than another. I backed my first large quilt with a sheet and then hand quilted it. It was NOT easy getting through that zillion thread count sheet and I wondered how other women did it! :D But I've learned a lot since then.

I've sewn most of my life too, and made all my girls' clothes when they were little. I used to watch my mom sew all our clothes. I stood quietly by her machine while she made the most beautiful things, and now I sew on that machine. It keeps me close to her. :)

I came from a family who sewed clothing and crocheted. No quilts in my past. But I did learn to love fabric (and yarns as well...I knit and crochet) and when I was visiting a friend of mine from church, she showed me her latest quilt project and I was hooked. She showed me some of the basics, but I was too impatient to wait until I learned enough from her to make life easier on myself. LOL I dove right in, made every mistake ever made (and made up a few of my own, no doubt!) and then slowly, by watching others, I learned. Quilting has gotten me through some really tough times in my life, and I thank God I was united with this craft. I'll die with a needle in my hand! LOL