Old 05-25-2011, 03:32 PM
HanNatNana

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Wow, that is really young to loose your husband. Now a days most kids aren't even getting married till they are mid 30's! What a rough way to start your grown up life - I didn't feel grown up until I turned 40 even though I had been married since I was 17!

You are quite amazing. I have never tried to make 'all' my own clothes - I have done most at one time or another - but not bras and swim suits! I am always in awe over people like you as my Mother was like that. She'd make anything that could be made! She was much more talented than I am! I have done 3 complete weddings, but that was following patterns!

Nancy
Thanks but I'm not amazing, I'm a very ordinary person with an inquisitive nature who likes a challenge and gets great satisfaction from making things.

Actually bras are not hard at all, they are really easy, although I will admit fiddly, and what I do to make the process easier is to make anywhere from 3 to 6 at one time as it doesn't take that much longer and at the end you have a good supply.

The best pattern you can get is from your favourite and most comfortable bra and instead of throwing it in the bin when it's worn out, take the time to sit down (preferably in the sun with a nice coffee or glass of something) and unpick all seams on one half. The intact half is your ready reference guide if you need it along the way. Lightly press open any seam allowances and mark grain lines with a marking pen. You can splurge on expensive bridal lace to trim cups because you only need a small amount and the really narrow edge lace can often be found for 20 cents. Hooks/eyes/straps can often be recycled from old bras but are also readily available if you need new ones.

Go wild with colour....it's fun wearing bright coloured underwear because nobody knows, except you!! If I'm making an outfit for a special event I'll make a full set of coordinating lingerie to wear underneath and if I can't get tricot in a matching colour then I'll go for something totally opposite...or get out the dye pot and get to work. It's fun and a quick project in between bigger jobs.

Bronwyn ;-)