View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Rhonda
Power Poster

Originally Posted by boomwooshblahh
I just finished designing a quilt I'm going to make. It's going to be made up of a bunch (384 to be exact) of 2in squares. Last time I made a quilt with just sqaures I had problems with my cutting--the squares need to be perfect and I guess I'm just not enough of a perfectionist. I can cut squares perfectly if I do them one at a time and really take my time, but I couldn't do that for 384 different squares. Does anyone have any tips for cutting a lot of even squares? Whenever I try cutting through more than one layer of fabric at a time it seems to get off just a little and the square isn't perfect.
Do you use a rotary cutter and cutting mat? If you do lay your fabric on the cutting mat and trim one long edge. Measure over and cut a 2" strip. Repeat this until you get to the other edge. Now lay one strip on your cutting mat and cut every 2" until you use up the strip.

I don't think I get an accurate cut with cutting too many at one time either but I find I can get an accurate cut with 2 layers at a time. It helps hurry up the process a little.

Don't know if htis works for you but it is a suggestion you could try.