View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 06:22 AM
scrappylouisa

I too, have a quilt that my Grandmother made for Rich and I. She made it in her favorite pattern....9-Patch. The front is made of polyester fabric and she backed it with flannel. The flannel is starting to fray. Those frayed spots show that the quilt has been loved. When it gets too bad I will replace the flannel and continue snuggling up under the quilt that Grandma lovingly made just for us.

An idea for quilts that are beyond repair. I worked part-time for a woman who owned a antique store. We would take old worn out quilts and salvage the good spots. We would cut small blocks, stars, hearts, ovals, etc. out of the salvaged pieces. We sewed pairs together and then stuffed to make small pillows. She placed these small pillows in wooden bowls, antique wooden boxes, etc. and sat them around the store. You would be surprised how many of those we sold to people for decorations.

We also made small pincushions, doll quilts, potholders, and framed some of the pieces. We also did this with hankies, linens and old clothing.

There are so many things you can do to recycle old quilts that some might think are useless and need to be thrown out.