Old 05-26-2011, 10:36 AM
Pam S

I've loved reading all your stories of how you found featherweights and now I have my own story. I have a daughter who is graduating from high school this weekend. As anybody who has a child with special needs knows, you get to know the Special Ed teachers really well because you spend so much time meeting and communicating with them. And if you're smart, you make friends with them because it helps you to get what you need for your child. My daughter was included in many regular classrooms but spent a few hours each day in this particular teacher's Special Ed room for the last 4 years. The teacher knows that I sew and quilt so when her sewing machine died she called me for advice about a new one.

I was telling her how I like my computerized machine but I've kept the Kenmore I bought when I was in college because those old machines are workhorses that sew through anything. She said, "Yeah, I know. I've got an old featherweight in the closet that still sews like a charm but I really need one with a zig-zag that I can use for mending my DH's pants." I nearly dropped the phone and said "I'm a quilter and I'd kill for one of those. If you ever want to sell it let me know." (Thinking that it probably was her Mom or Grandma's). She said, "Oh, you can have it. I don't use it anymore." WHAT? Turns out, about 20 years ago she worked for a store that sold sewing machines and they took it in trade (gave the woman $15 on the trade-in! and she bought it from the owner for $25). Next time I talked to her, she said "I dug the featherweight out. I'll bring it in for you."

So I had to do something special for her. Knowing she's a rabid UK fan (for our friends across the pond, that's Univ of Kentucky, not United Kingdom but she might be that too!), I found some UK fabric and last week I made a quilt for her (the borders and backing are the UK logo fabric). Today, my daughter took the quilt to school and, when I went in for a reception for the seniors, she sent me to her car to get the machine. It's in great condition, sewed like a charm when I tried it and has attachments that I don't even know what they are yet. I can't wait to play with my new toy but now it's time to pick my daughter up from school so it'll have to wait. But I couldn't wait to share.

the UK quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]202693[/ATTACH]

my new toy
[ATTACH=CONFIG]202694[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-202687.jpe   attachment-202688.jpe