Thread: Smart Hubby
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 10:44 AM
MadQuilter
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PrettyKitty
Hmmmm.....there are often posts on here about you gals whose husbands have driven them to the fabric store/suprised them with a trip to the LQS/splashed out ona new machine/not complained while you have spent hours drooling over fabrics etc etc.

I hate to sound cynical, but do yoou ever wonder if they are doing it so that in future they can play golf/spend hours in the hardware store/buy the latest power tools/go to the bar when they want and you won't be so hard on them for it?

Hehe, I'm just jealous really as my b/f is still bemused by my 'traditional' hobbies (although he loves the home baking). He wouldn't be seen dead in a quilting shop!
My DH actually MADE me a quilted clock for one of our anniversaries. He took a Dresden Plate pattern and changed it to use only 12 sections, he bought the fabric to fit in my sewing room, did all the prep, sewed it and assembled the clock. I cried when I opened that present.

The entire time he was working on it, he made sure that he hid the fabric, but I kept wondering who was playing in my room since things did get moved. One time the bobbin thread was acting up and he called his mother, frantic – MOM, I BROKE HER MACHINE!!!! HELP!!!!! She told me about it later – laughing.

He actually likes the “quilting thing” and loves to go to shows and stores. He advises me when I run into a color or layout snag, and he supports my stash building.

Yes, he does have his own hobbies, and he has his own toys (10” telescope, tools galore, etc) and YES, he has used the argument that he supports the “quilting thing” when he needed me to sign on to something he really wanted (like a camping trailer). But it’s all in good fun. It’s just the two of us and has been for going on 35 years.