View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 06:44 PM
omak

So! With all this talk about ripping fabric (and, I put my two cents worth in, too <g>) .. I loaded a backing onto my frame to quilt a quilt, and of course ... it was too long, so I figured .... I will just snip it a bit and rip it ... my grandson (14) was helping me pin, and he said, "Are you sure?"
Of course! I wouldn't do it if I wasn't sure ... and, he was quiet while I tore the other end.
Then, I rolled the backing up, (oh, yeah ... I do remember telling the boy that I wasn't sure the first part of my pinning was straight, since I forgot to square it, but I wasn't going to worry about it right now ... I'll fix it later)
Got to the end of the backing, and it wasn't straight ... no problem! I will just rip that!
The boy says: Omakmama ... it still isn't straight, so your ripping doesn't do what you said it would do.
I patiently remind him that we really weren't that sure that the beginning pinning was straight - - the ripping was straight, apparently, the cut edge I just "eyeballed" wasn't straight, and now we know!
I am not advocating my outlook on life (most rules are merely guides and tools) ... but I thought you might enjoy my ripping story.
I do believe on those big pieces, it will tear straight ... the key is: Do it BEFORE you load it on a quilt frame.