View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011, 04:21 PM
jdiane318

I volunteer at the local food bank in my area which serves 28 counties in Missouri. Joplin is in our area and several of the food pantries in that area were either destroyed or badly damaged. Monday was a typical day, a few donations came in. But come Tuesday, chaos ensued and we were so busy that we barely stayed caught up with the donations. Ozarks Food Harvest send a large mobile food pantry truck to sit on a corner for donations with the thought process that it might get filled up by the end of the day. That truck was filled up 7 times on Tuesday, 9 times on Wednesday. People would drive by and drop off cases of water, hand money to us, go into Dillion's to shop and bring entire grocery carts full of paper products, diapers, water, juices, snack foods and then still hand you a check for $100. I had a woman hand me 5 brand new Blackberry phones to give to people along with several $100 bills.

Then the semis started showing up with the necessities, paper products, ready to eat meals, sleeping bags, clothes, you just can't imagine watching the semis all parked end to end, patiently waiting on their turn to be unloaded. Other food banks have sent trained workers to help out and also loaned us a couple more jacks and forklifts to use. A couple of warehouses have been located much closer to Joplin to store all the items that have came in for them.

I love where I live at and know that people are generous and giving. But what I have witnessed during this week has been so overwhelming that I tear up thinking about the kindness of neighbors in spirit. I have been over there all day till 6p at night each day but today. I will be fixing sloppy joes for all of us to eat on Monday, yes we know it is a holiday, and yes, as a volunteeer I don't have to work, but anyone who knows me knows that I cannot stay at home while this is going on. Tragedy and destruction isn't taking a holiday either so I won't.
By the way, I took the day off so that I could run around and pick up handmade blankets and quilts for our chapter of Project Linus to get them delivered to Joplin.

Please pray for everyone that has been touched by the storms this spring everywhere. The ones who haven't been hurt or had damage to your home, thank God everynight that you have a roof over your head and that your family is safe.

It is truly a pleasure to live in the Ozarks.