View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011, 09:27 AM
emmah

Originally Posted by MyWifeMadeME
Any suggestions on information sources or links that give prices or estimated value of old sewing machines? It seems like I see them for sale on a regular basis and sometimes being given away. Thanks for any help given!!
I usually check ebay by doing an "advanced search" -- completed sales --and type in the type of machine. You get a list of recently completed listings and it tells the price it sold for --or didn't sell for.
Also read the prices people on this board have paid for older machines by skimming thru the "Vintage Machine shop" . There are lots of old machines out there. I think most Craigslist machines are waaaaay overpriced in my area, yard sales yield the best prices, thrift shops next. I have refurbished and sold some on Craigslist recently and I think people will pay a fair price if they can try the machine and see how it works.
Condition has much to do with value. Are all the parts there? Does it run? Is the machine dirty or rusty? Is the finish damaged? Does the machine smell of mildew or smoke? Is it a brand name? (Singer is #1 and certain models bring top dollar.)
With the economy as it is now, more people are looking for quality at a bargain, and the vintage machines don't cost a lot to use or maintain if you keep them oiled.