View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011, 01:26 PM
rushdoggie

I am planning on making some raised beds along a part of my yard that is very heavy with annoying perennial weeds and rocks. The area is along the fence line and between 8' and 10' wide. My plan is to build 3 raised 10'x4' beds end to end along the fence line which will support some blueberry bushes, some veggies and possibly a dwarf fruit tree.

The ground is very rocky and there are very thick-stemmed, tenacious weeds there. I am going to log in some back breaking hours shoveling up some of the weeds and rocks. I plan on laying black plastic in the areas around the beds, held down with concrete pavers (I just bought a huge pile of used ones from Craigslist for a pittance) with mulch in between. Alan (DH) is making me 12" raised beds and will bring me a yard of garden soil and compost from the nearby garden center.

My question is, what can I put under the soil in the beds to help keep the huge weeds from growing up? I will try to dig some out, but the reality is these are huge weeds and very persistent and the likelihood that I can dig out every bit of every plant is low.

I have read that landscape cloth will work, but I don't think I want
something the bushes and plants I put it can't grow through. I have
read newspaper will help smother the weeds and will gradually
decompose allowing the plants through.

What do you all think? I am in a bit of a rush because the growing
season is upon us so I'd love to be able to grow a little something
this year.