View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Buckeye Rose

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
If it is copyrighted it is intellectual that the owner should be compensated for by each user. Comments?
----------------------------------------------
The copywriter gets the money from the buyer who pays for the pattern. It then belongs to the buyer, but s/he can not SELL this actual pattern or a copy, but I think can give it or loan it to others. The resulting quilt I think can put it up for raffle or sale for charity, but the selling of the quilt, well, we've had a lot of comments on that, probably is okay, and from what I've gleaned from all the fall-out, making a quilt from that pattern for a client might be legal. Making a quilt from this pattern for gifting, I'm sure won't make any pattern maker rush to a lawyer.
If I'm not correct, please comment on this.[/quote]

Legally, you can sell the actual pattern, but not a copy...it's just like cd's and dvd's.....what you make from the pattern is yours and can altered or made exact without giving credit to anyone. They made the pattern to sell and that is where they get their credit and $$$. What I do with the pattern once in my possession is my business. If I so choose to let everyone know what the pattern is called and where to get it....good for me, but not required.