View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011, 01:49 PM
Rebecca VLQ

We just did a raised bed on a rocky, weedy patch of land. It's the first year, so I dunno how we'll fare but I'm doubting any weeds stand a chance.

DH ran the mower across the weeds, so they were not tall. Pulling would not have helped, they would have just broken off due to the rocks/clay.

Built the bed w/ 2x12x10ft boards for length, 6 ft 6 inch width, or whatever the height of a screen door is. Screwed 2 boards interiorly, so there is actually 3 sections. Two of them are covered with screens so I don't have to spray chemicals.

Doubled up landscaping fabric at the bottom, used a few staples to prevent it from sliding around when he tossed dirt in there.

Bought 50-50 mix of topsoil and compost from the local guy.

Just added seeds a few days ago, so dunno how this is gonna turn out. Had an existing bed that we raised up by a couple wood timbers and added the 50-50 mix in there, and planted tomatoes and peppers a few WEEKS ago, and they're doing great!

ALSO have a section that was getting super-weedy last year so we just put doubled landscape fabric and mulch over it and did the hole-cutting thing and put plants in a couple weeks ago. THAT seems to be doing great. That was just done with fill dirt though...