Old 05-28-2011, 08:49 PM
Treasureit

Originally Posted by spartan quilter
Your quilting is really pretty. I am not good at all with FMQ, so I always do SID.

This is probably a dumb question, but I really need to know. What did you do to make your stitching look like hand quilting? By that I mean, one stitch showing and then space before you see the thread of the next stitch. Is that a special setting on your machine?

Thanks for any tips anyone can give me.

I just got a walking foot, and if I can do something else with it, besides SID, I would really love to learn it.
Those are just regular stitches, but I see what you mean they do look like there is a space in between. Maybe it is because it is a close-up.

To make that flower I made and X on the block to find the center then I drew (freehand) from one corner a curved line making 1/2 the petal and crossed over the center and curved the other way to make the bottom half. Like a long "S" shape. I did that on all 4 corners then sewed the same way I drew it. I stopped at the opposite corner and turned the quilt around and went back to the starting point. You need to repeat that process for the other petals. It took a little practice to make the petals equal, but this is a charity quilt that I am practicing on.

Here is my drawing of what I did..
Attached Thumbnails attachment-25601.jpe