View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 06:04 PM
ButtercreamCakeArtist

I actually have a horrible story, but I didn't have time to type it up until now.
My MIL is a wonderful quilter, and I love lighthouse. My MIL does a lot of embroidered quilt squares. She made me a lighthouse quilt for my birthday a couple years ago. She drew these lighthouses before embroidering from a pattern she cut out or something. She looked at all kinds of pictures of lighthouses to figure out how to embroider them. How sweet, and how much work she must've put into this quilt!

I have a friend that bought me an Amish built shelf w/a quilt hanger. So, I hung my quilt from MIL on this shelf!

Well, when we moved into our new house that DH built us, we still had well water, which came from MIL's well. We had bought a water conditioner and had been keeping the iron to a minimum. So, my son and DD liked to get behind the quilt and play and hide. And they had cheesey poofs...cheese puffs, cheese curls, you know those yellow corn snacks....and, you guessed it, they got it on the quilt!
So, I washed it. And YOU GUESSED IT--something had gone wrong with the water. I don't know if there had been air in the lines (from turning the pump on and off during lightning), or WHAT, but the iron decided to come out on the quilt. The cheesey poofs washed out, but iron is HE)( to get out!
If there are quilt police here, leave now! I got the stains out by putting greased lightning on the quilt and scrubbing with a small brush. It came out. I don't remember if I washed something else through the washer before I put the quilt back in or not. If you looked close enough, you might be able to tell I scrubbed the quilt, but I doubt it. I never told my MIL. I won't. It took a long time to get all those stains out. I was so afraid it would never be the same! The kids still won't leave it alone, but all food is strictly banned from any room other than the kitchen! And that's where it should've been in the first place. I didn't tell them to take the cheesies off the counter and go hide!