Thread: Quilting Class
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 06:47 AM
cheezythequiltmaker

The length of the session has also to be taken into account. 2 hours isn't very long by the time you have explkanined demod and people are set up they have not much time before they have to pack up.

I usually run on the assupmtion it takes twice as long for your learners to do it as it does you.

Take as much equipment with you as you can muster. someone always forgets something or doesn't have some thing.

Keep the project simple and forgiving. You want them to sew a 1/4 inch seam, but it's better to have a project that just needs a consistant seam. as D9P is perfect for that beacuse there is scope for trimming down units before you sew the next stage and the item will end up as big as it is.

I have found it better to talk about equipment on the first day rather than give a list out in advance. Beginners enevitably get the wrong equipment or stuff they don't actually need. Ask them to bring what they have. Give your requirments list to the LQS and make sure they understand what you want and have the stuff in. That really helps. We don't have a LQS here so we mainly have to use a mail order company.

Kits are a great idea, becasue the person who said about fabrics is right. People can spend the whole lesson deciding on their fabrics. Limit choices and remember you will be left with anything not purchased. Try and keep your projects to fat quarters That way your kits are recyclable to different projects.

Hand outs and work sheets are realy importnat. They take time but taking the time to take pictures for every step of a project helps you break it down.

Be prepared, remember health and saftey, and enjoy yourself.

teaching quilting is my favourite pastime and I am privilidged to be able to earn part of my income from it. Don't tell my boss but I probably would do it for free... or ratehr the smiley faces of my learners when they mastyer something. :)

Becks