Thread: Quilting Class
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 07:20 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

ITA be very clear on what level the quilters should be at ... nothing more frustrating than to go to a class, and discover the teacher spends most of their time with someone who knows nothing about their sewing machine!

Also, if a basic beginners class, the wall hanging and runner may be too much of a challenge. And if you're giving them the fabric, too much cost from your part.

The idea of a brown surprise bag of fabric/supplies they need is a great idea for beginners to get a "taste" of quilting and to give them the bug! A lower cost to you .... and even if it's from your scraps, it's still a cost. Be sure that is included in the course fee and not as an add on when they get there! Only opens the door for more complaints (I don't like the colour. I didn't know I had to pay more. Too much $ for what we got.)

So how about a Mug Rug?

You do all the steps in making a quilt ... right thru to binding.

Wonder? could it be done all in one 3 hour class ... would be nice for them to go home with a completed project. (and maybe be just finishing up the hand stitching of the binding at home). For beginners it's all about completion and feeling success!! (isn't it for all of us)

Week two ... perhaps another Mug Rug with new techniques? Pot holder?

Part of Week Two or in Week Three ... how to's in purchasing/selecting fabric and supplies, using the table runner/topper samples for your next course to demonstrate poor/great choices! (marketing!!)

On week one, they aren't ready to learn about the shopping/selection part. If they like what they're doing, then they will listen up by Week two/three .... and too, are anxious to take the next course.

And now, you've easily "sold" them on the next course, as they've seen a few of your terrific table runner/toppers .... as well as those who aren't ready are finished, instead of dropping out of a long course.

Good Luck!