Thread: Quilting Class
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 07:42 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SharBear
I think you have to be careful with the knowledge level of people when they walk in the door. I took a beginning quilting class and the instructor -and several of us students ended up having to teach basic machine usage (bobbin winding, threading, etc.) - it was a 6 week class, one week was in a fabric store doing fabric selection. The instructor did all the cutting (a LOT of work) and people were bummed that they didn't learn how to rotary cut. It's a year later and I know that only 4 of the 12 people actually finished their projects (it was a trip around the world that was twin size -MUCH too big for a beginner class; and the teacher hadn't ever made it using the pattern she had us using). So, whatever you make, be sure that you have made it first!

good luck!
OMG .... not a teacher I would return to, if she had never made the pattern before! Poor advertising on her part for your coming back, or giving referrals!

OP ..... As beginners they won't have rotary cutters, mats, rullers, etc. Too much to ask them to buy ... do you have enough (or can borrow) so there are not lineups?