View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 12:43 PM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I noticed these two comments here:

1. "... I could never charge that much for my time since I enjoy quilting,...."

2. "... I can't think of any "handcraft" that actually pays $20/hour for something actually detailed. Counted cross stitch takes hours and hours and people sell them on ebay or yard sales for a pittance. Maybe painters/sketchers who do portraits at county fairs will clear $20/hour easily. But knitting/crocheting, tatting, lace making, cross stitch, embroidery, sewing, quilting, etc.?"

To the first, I question...does that mean you can't/aren't/ shouldn't be paid equal wage for a job that you enjoy? I mean, my niece is a nurse, my DD is a 5th grade teacher and they both adore their jobs. Should they not be paid the same as someone who does not enjoy it? I'm sure this isn't what you really meant, but, as a group, as home quilters, as artists, we all too often undervalue what we do simply because we enjoy it, or are self-taught, or don't get to do it every day, or compare ourselves unfavorably with what we perceive as 'the competition", or whatever reason.

To the second question I note.....The quilters who are making a living at this art do not accept pittance pay for their valued labor/designs/creations. They get better pay because they expect better pay and appreciation. I really do believe we get what we expect.

If we keep doing what we've always done, we'll keep getting what we've always gotten.

I challenge each of those being asked to, or thinking of making, quilts for pay to add 10% more this year to any price they quote. And next year make it 15% more! If we did this all over the country, maybe, just maybe, we'd slowly begin to influence the public, and our families, and incresase our stash fund just a bit.:-D

Jan in VA.