View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 03:36 PM
luv-e

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
Originally Posted by justflyingin
Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
most of the time i dye and print my own fabric.

it costs me about $2.25 to make a yard of fabric.
How do you make fabric?

and for $2.25/yard? Do you weave your own and then dye it? Using wool or cotton? I've never met anyone who actually made their own. I've used a loom before but made a scarf--in college for a textiles class.

Or do you buy unbleached muslin (for how much) and dye it? Or do you have a source of undyed fabric?

I hope you have time to answer because this is a fascinating topic to me. I do enjoy all things textile!
i do weave fabric but that is for clothing items i make and sell not for my quilts.

for quilts i use prepared for dye kona cotton and roc-lon bleached muslin. i do not like natural muslin since the existing color of the muslin has an influence on the final color of the dyeing process.

you can buy these items by the bolt at joann's for around $2.40 a yard if you use a coupon. i buy them wholesale since i buy so much.

i have 44 width, 60 width, and 120 width.

from there i dye, shibori, hand paint, screen print, or marble the fabrics depending on the look i want.
F Fabrics, I would love to see your work????? This is interesting that you do all of that.....you can always get the colour you need.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: