Old 05-30-2011, 11:01 AM
margecam52

Just make sure to stitch straigt to the very corner of the quilt/runner,etc. If you have to, draw a line.

Fold the binding so that it's in the exact direction of the diagonal stitching. Start stitching again from the edge of the binding that is already stitched down (previous side of the quilt/runner etc)..making sure the seam allowance stays the same.

Note where the video shows the seam allowance was trimmed close to the stitching. She used about a 1" seam, so you could see what she did.

With a 1/4" seam allowance...your mitre is 1/4" in from both edges...that's the pivot point...your diagonal line/stitching goes from that pivot point to the exact corner of the quilt/runner etc.

Once folded up at the angle of the diagonal seam, you fold again, towards the edge you will start to sew next. Make sure not to twist the first fold...keep it exact, then fold down over it...matching raw edges.
Stitch from the top edge, 1/4" in (seam allowance amount)...and straight down, across the diagonal seam you made. Trim excess and fold. Tuck in excess if needed to match up the binding for a perfect looking mitre.

I always fold my mitres oposite of the fold on the oposite (front) side of the project. Less bulk and a nicer finish that way.
Marge

Originally Posted by Psychomomquilter
I tried it and still not doing it right! I did follow the directions.