View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 01:26 PM
CAS49OR

I am new to quilting, and my biggest disappointment in the classes I took was bringing home a barely started quilt and trying to figure out how to finish it on my own. Sometimes, if someone (teacher) has been quilting for years, something that seems to be so obvious is not. Please encourage students to share even the "stupidest" questions.

I would suggest a project that could be completed during the class, so a new quilter has that excitement about making something they can feel proud of. This will inspire them to take more classes, and continue working at home on their own. Donna Jean suggested a potholder. That is a great idea. It could be completed during class and has all the basic techniques, especially if using binding to finish it. It would cost much less than a full quilt also.

I think if a project cannot be completed during the class it should be clearly stated, "This is a class to begin to learn about quilting techniques, and the project may not be completed during the class."

I also think it's wonderful when a teacher is willing to go "above and beyond" by allowing students to contact her later.

I think a beginning class should have a limited amount of students so they get a lot of "one on one" instruction. It is helpful to ask the students to be familiar with their machine, and bring the manual for it. I have taken classes where the majority of the time is trying to get someone's machine to work.

I think it's great you are asking for tips. I didn't know there was a 1/4" foot for my machine, and when I found out, after messing up several seams (I tried measuring and laying down painter tape.) my hubby went and bought it and brought it to me. It was SO helpful, and I was more confident about continuing the project. My point is, it probably was obvious to experienced sewers but I had not heard of it. Some people really do not know about things that seem so elementary.

You are asking for suggestions, so I feel you will be a great teacher!