View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 08:54 PM
cjr

Our daughter had rheumatic when she was 7 yrs old. She is now 47. It was rare back then, only discovered because of excellent pediatrition. Very scary. We had to enroll her in public school (she was in a private school)for the state to send a tutor to our home3 -4 times per week. State paid for tutor, who ended up being her regular teacher. She was out of school from Jan to the following Sept.

Following the rheumatic fever she was put on daily penicillium for many many years to keep strep away. In high school she went out for cheerleading, made the team and also cheered in college. She started running and has competed in triatholns, and to this day runs almost daily. A few years ago she was taken off the pencillium. She is a very busy mother of 3. I think she still has a slight murmur, but otherwise very healthy.

For your daughter the most important thing to do immediately is listen to her DR. If she needs bed rest, there is no substitute. Talk to guidance councler of her school for tutoring services.

Rheumatic fever is always preceeded by a strep infection that never quite goes away. Sometimes it goes into a kidney infection before the rheumatic fever shows itself. Be very grateful your Dr found it.

Keeping you in my prasyers. They helped my daughter like nothing else.