View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 04:08 AM
Amythyst02

To be perfectly honest, I have never made a quilt. Wanting to learn is one of the reasons I have joined these boards. To read and pick brains when I finally make the first step.

However, what is the first step? I know I need a mat, a rotary cutter, but what kind of mat, what kind of rotary cutter. What else do I need? I know how to work my sewing machine, but there might be folks that attend that do not. However, if you begin with learning the machine, some may get extremely bored. So you would have to find out where each comfort zone is for each person. What they know and what they do not.

I have checked into the classes they have at JoAnn's and a couple of other places. But they do not tell you what supplies you will need. Ah ha, of course it is so you would need to purchase those items from them ?? Not sure if that is the case, but it would seem so. I like to shop around, and get the best bang for my $$. So I guess one of the first things every student should know is the supplies that are needed for the first class.

Also, I am rather picky about fabric. My daughter says I like too much foral? But I like it!! So I would say even give them a list of what type of fabric to bring along, and how much. I want your knowledge, not your supplies. I want to leave at the end of each class feeling I have come one step closer to making that quilt.

I guess the only other thing I could add would be, keep your classes rather small. So you have time to spend with each person, and answer all their questions. There will probably be lots of questions.

Good luck and I wish you success in your new venture. I think you will have alot of folks interested.