View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 04:17 AM
Amythyst02

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
For a no clue class:

definitions
grain of fabric
difference between ironing and pressing and how you do this (I had someone actually use 5/8" seam and press open) in an intermediate class
different ways to accomplish the dreaded 1/4" or scant
How to use a rotary cutter safely! OMG some individuals will scare the h*** out of you! (always have them buy the stickies for the back of the rulers)
How to use a ruler properly (I know this sounds basic, but the lining up and how different ruler manuf. measure differently)
Starching vs. not starching
The proper thread to use! I had someone actually using hand quilting thread in a machine :shock:

Start with a basic square block. 4P or 9P. To teach kissing seams. :-) Maybe have them make them a little larger and then transform into D4P or D9P.

If at all possible make sure they bring their own machine to use. There will be many applications that they will want to write down the settings for their particular machine.
This is the perfect example for the newbie. I have no idea what 1/2 of the things she is talking about are. But ... I am sure it is all important. Like what in the world is 4P or 9P. : ) Oh and I just learned yesterday how important the grain of the fabric is, and that if you get it wrong your squares will come out wrong. I just figured you cut and sew. I have never used a rotary cutter, you mean there is a right and wrong way? I thought it looked pretty simple.

These are all things the "never have quilted before" student will be needing to know.