View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 04:26 AM
olebat

As a 4-H leader, the classes I teach are usually with 10 year olds. I do offer classes for families, and the mothers/fathers are just as much in the dark as the kids are. So when someone says they know nothing - believe them, that they know NOTHING.

My classes begin with an orientation of basic sewing supplies. Because they are totally green, safety is high on the teaching scale. (Do you always know where your needle is?) Each machine has it's own sewing and repair kit, so the student needs nothing for the class. We cover the things they might want to buy for their own sewing box. Then, I present an introduction to different fabrics. The second hour we begin with the sewing machine. It's getting easier with a good collection of vintage machines. They're pretty simple, nothing to fiddle with, just learn how to thread and wind bobbins.

For the first class, I provide the fabric. They start with a strip, which they cut (scissors) into 4 pieces. They sew back and forth, up and down until their strip is filled.
The nest piece, they sew curvy lines, and make circles, boxes, and Christmas tree designs, then they layer the last two and do the same thing with double layers. By that time (15 minutes) they are comfortable with the machines.

Then, I pull out a pre-cut kit for each of them. It is a simple turned pot holder. I provide a hand out of everything covered, and a hand out for the next session. They get to choose their own fabric, or get one of my kits. Class two is a set of place mats, again, turned, rather than bound. After the class, we discuss where to go next. Strip lap quilts usually win. (OK I lead a little.) I have a mismatch batch of loaner machines if they want to work at home. This one is finished with a binding. After those 4 weeks, they choose their track of more quilting, or garment construction. For rotary cutting, I insist they buy their own gloves, and have one-on one instruction. So far, knock on wood - all has gone well.

This is a 4-H program, so I don't charge. However, I collect fair value for cost of supplies have a tip jar available. Parents often consider it an instructional sitting service.