View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 04:48 AM
libthekwltr

After reading the above posts, and after having taken a wonderful "My First Quilt" class only 2 1/2 years ago, I thought I'd chime in -- what was so very helpful to me was 1. a detailed list of needed supplies and 2. a set of very detailed written instructions. As the class was held at my LQS, the supply list was provided when we registered for the class with a discount offered for any supplies purchased at the shop. However, we were free to purchase the supplies wherever we chose. (As I wasn't sure if I'd continue quilting beyond the class, I wanted the flexibility to purchase where I could get the best prices, later learning that often the supplies at the LQS are of a higher quality than what I found at Walmart, Hancock's, Hobby Lobby, etc.). The detailed instructions were handed out during the first class session. They contained very basic details, such as how to hold up the fabric with the selvages together in order to square it up prior to making the first cut, how to use the rulers to square up the fabric, how to miter corners when creating binding, etc. It had room for notations (of which I made plenty) and included some simple drawings (i.e.what a mitered corner looks like). I find that if I don't quilt for a while, I can pull out those instructions to remind myself what a particular term means or how to follow a basic procedure that many patterns don't explain. Having a couple of ironing boards and irons certainly helps as does plenty of space for cutting as well as sewing space. If you can determine in advance what exactly the skill level (or lack thereof!) of each person taking the class will be, then you can know how basic your beginning session needs to be. Be prepared for some questions that will just floor you because you'll think that EVERYONE should know the answer. Build in time to help someone rip out something and bring with you patience in explaining what the problem was and how to fix it and avoid it in the future. Good luck to you!!